Improve A/C Efficiency, Reduce Cooling Costs
Air conditioners made today are more energy efficient than ever, capable of saving homeowners heaps of money on their utility costs. But buying a whole new system may not make sense for you, especially if your current system isn’t very old or an upgrade isn’t financially feasible right now. The good news is that you can maximize your existing system’s energy-saving ability by following some simple steps. Making your A/C more efficient doesn’t just mean you’ll keep more of your hard-earned money; it also means your system will last longer, your indoor air quality will be healthier, and your impact on the environment will be reduced. Learn how you can improve A/C efficiency, reduce cooling costs and keep your home feeling comfortable.
Improve A/C Efficiency, Reduce Cooling Costs And Stay Comfortable
The following tips are some proven techniques that will help to optimize your A/C’s operating ability:
- Change or clean the air filters every month, or as recommended by the manufacturer. This will help to prevent dust and debris from clogging the filter and restricting air flow.
- Use ceiling fans to reduce your dependency on your A/C. You’ll save between 3 and 5 percent for every degree you raise your thermostat.
- Install a programmable thermostat and set it to keep your home at a comfortable temperature during the hours you’re home, and to go into energy-savings mode when you’re away.
- Make sure all the doors and windows in your home are shut when it’s hot outside and/or you need to turn your A/C on. During cooler nights and early mornings, open the windows to take advantage of natural cooling (as long as it’s not too humid outside).
- Use exhaust fans when showering or cooking to lower humidity levels, rather than turning your A/C on.
- Close the registers in rooms that don’t need to be cooled (just make sure not to shut off more than one or two as this can put too much pressure on your A/C).
- Schedule pre-season maintenance appointments with a reliable HVAC contractor. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, annual tuneups are vital for promoting energy efficiency and optimal performance.
For more tips on how to improve A/C efficiency in your North Carolina home, please feel free to contact us at Air Experts.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com