5 Ways to Keep Your AC Running Smoothly All Summer
During the heat and humidity of a typical Raleigh-Durham summer your air conditioner offers welcome relief, but if your air conditioner is under performing or is inadequately maintained you’ll be lacking in comfort and humidity control. There are a number of steps you can take to ensure the consistent efficient performance of your air conditioner this cooling season, and some you may prefer to leave to the professionals at Air Experts Heating & Cooling. Here’s a great list of tips to get you started.
The Benefits of Air Conditioner Maintenance
Just as your vehicle performs better with regular tune-ups and oil changes, your air conditioner runs more reliably and efficiently with regular maintenance. Additional benefits include:
- Cost savings. Any number of issues can prevent your cooling system from performing efficiently leading to an increase in energy costs. Regular maintenance helps ensure your air conditioner is running at peak performance and helps to detect minor issues before they become costly repairs.
- Increased comfort. Sluggish performance and reduced airflow can result from a neglected or inadequately maintained cooling system leading to a decrease in cooling power and comfort.
- Cleaner indoor air. A dirty or clogged air filter, system components, or ductwork can have a negative impact on the quality of your indoor air and cause health issues in those with allergies or weakened immune systems.
- Prolonged lifespan. A clean well tuned HVAC system places less stress and friction on parts and helps your equipment to last longer with fewer repairs.
5 Ways to Ensure Your AC Unit Is Ready for Summer
A preventive maintenance plan from Air Experts has a number of significant benefits that contribute to the performance and well being of your cooling system, including a tune up and cleaning. Additional maintenance tips include:
- Filter changes. The air filter is responsible for trapping small particles such as dust, dirt, pollen, pet dander, and mold and preventing them from settling on system components, in your ductwork, or swirling throughout your living space. Filter changes should be performed every four to six weeks during peak cooling season for best results.
- Thermostat check. Spring is a great time to adjust your programmable thermostat to reflect summer temperatures and changing schedules. It’s also the time to switch operation from “heat” to “cool” and ensure system performance and check battery life.
- Landscape maintenance. Maximize airflow and prevent the accumulation of debris around the outdoor condenser unit by regularly trimming back grass and foliage; aim for a clearance of three feet around and above the air conditioner.
- Cleaning. NOTE: Turn off the power to your HVAC system at the exterior switch and the main breaker box before starting the cleaning process. Remove the fan cage on the exterior condenser unit by removing the screws, and enlist the help of a partner to hold the fan (which is permanently connected by wires) while you clear leaves and other debris from the inside of unit. Next, hose off the fins surrounding the exterior of the unit from the inside out using the spray setting on your garden hose. Replace the fan and restore power to the unit when finished.
- Level up. As the ground beneath the outdoor unit begins to settle the pad on which it sits may start to tip resulting in premature failure of the compressor. Check the unit for level and use weather resistant shims to restore balance.
Schedule AC Maintenance with Air Experts Heating & Cooling
Air Experts has served the Raleigh-Durham area since 1986 while providing complete HVAC installation, maintenance, and repair services. One of our friendly comfort specialists can explain the details of our service programs and answer any questions you may have.
For professional, dependable HVAC service in the Raleigh-Durham area, call Air Experts Heating & Cooling today at 919-480-2727 or contact us online and let us know how we can help.