How to Stay Cool with Little Air Conditioning
If you do not currently have air conditioning in your home or your cooling system breaks down on the hottest day of the year, you might be looking for ways to keep cool. Although not as effective as a cooling system, there are things you can do to help keep your body temperature down and your house cooler when it’s hot outside.
How to Stay Cool Without AC
If you are looking for ways to cool off without air conditioning, these tips can help you stay cool without an air conditioning system.
- Use Light Sheets – Light cotton sheets are the most breathable type of material when it comes to sleeping on a hot night. Forget the silk and polyester, these types of material will only increase your body temperature.
- Get the Fans Blowing – Box fans can be helpful when your cooling system isn’t working, positioned correctly they can help draw the hot air from your house out the windows. If it cools off enough outside you can then reverse the fans blowing the cooler air in. You can also have one fan blowing the air in and one blowing it out to help increase air flow.
- Close Your Windows and Draw the Blinds Early – Before the sun gets too high in the sky, be sure to trap any cool air in your home by keeping the windows closed and drawing curtains and blinds.
- Drink Plenty of Water – Drink lots of water to keep hydrated on hot days, especially when your body can’t cool off.
- Stay Low – If you have more than one story in your home, the lowest level is going to be the coolest. If it is too hot to sleep upstairs, make a makeshift bed downstairs. You may also want to try using a powerful fan to blow the cool air from downstairs up to the higher levels.
- Don’t Use the Oven – The oven and stove can heat up your house which is great in winter, but not so helpful in summer. Use the grill or eat cold foods like salads, this will help you avoid generating more heat in your home.
- Create a Blowing Ice Box – Place a big block of ice in a big pan and place the pan in front of the fan, this can help cool down the air that is blowing through the fan.
- Turn Off the Lights – Even the smallest light can cause heat to radiate and if you have all your lights on at the same time, this can really help heat up your home’s rooms.
Contact Air Experts for AC Repair in Raleigh, NC
If your air conditioning system is not working or you are looking to install a new system in your home, contact the team at Air Experts Heating & Cooling.
The team of trained and certified staff at Air Experts offers a unique service guarantee called the 7 Guarantees. These guarantees make sure that all of our customers are getting the highest-quality service. You can read more about our 7 Guarantees here, or contact our team of heating and cooling experts.