How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Raleigh Home
Carbon monoxide is a deadly odorless and colorless gas that fuel burning appliances can generate. Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning is — literally — a life and death matter.
What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
It’s vital to understand what carbon monoxide poisoning is and how it occurs:
- Carbon monoxide gas is one of the byproducts of burning fuel including natural gas, wood, charcoal and gasoline. Without proper ventilation, carbon monoxide can accumulate in your home in harmful amounts.
- Carbon monoxide decreases the body’s ability to absorb oxygen and can lead to death.
- Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include confusion, headaches, dizziness, nausea and weakness. Because these symptoms are common among a variety of illnesses, many people don’t realize they’re poisoned.
- Small children and the elderly are most susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning.
How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning only takes a few steps:
- Have your fuel-burning appliances, including your water heater, oven, HVAC system and dryer, checked annually by a qualified HVAC technician.
- If your home has a chimney, perform maintenance on it annually so exhaust is able to escape the home.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in sleeping areas and around fuel burning appliances. Carbon monoxide detectors are the first line of defense against carbon monoxide poisoning. You should replace batteries in the spring and fall during daylight savings time.
Learn more about preventing carbon monoxide poisoning in the Raleigh area by contacting Air Experts Heating & Cooling.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com
Enjoy Stress-Free Comfort At Home for as little as $129 per month EASE Comfort® ProgramExpires 06/30/23 *Available with approved credit.
$25 Off Any Service RepairExpires 06/30/23 Call for details. Must present coupon at time of service. Normal business hours only. Cannot be combined with other offers.
Comfort Club Maintenance Program Join for as little as $13.50 per monthExpires 06/30/23