How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Your Raleigh Home
Carbon monoxide is a deadly odorless and colorless gas that fuel burning appliances can generate. Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning is — literally — a life and death matter.
What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
It’s vital to understand what carbon monoxide poisoning is and how it occurs:
- Carbon monoxide gas is one of the byproducts of burning fuel including natural gas, wood, charcoal and gasoline. Without proper ventilation, carbon monoxide can accumulate in your home in harmful amounts.
- Carbon monoxide decreases the body’s ability to absorb oxygen and can lead to death.
- Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include confusion, headaches, dizziness, nausea and weakness. Because these symptoms are common among a variety of illnesses, many people don’t realize they’re poisoned.
- Small children and the elderly are most susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning.
How to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning only takes a few steps:
- Have your fuel-burning appliances, including your water heater, oven, HVAC system and dryer, checked annually by a qualified HVAC technician.
- If your home has a chimney, perform maintenance on it annually so exhaust is able to escape the home.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in sleeping areas and around fuel burning appliances. Carbon monoxide detectors are the first line of defense against carbon monoxide poisoning. You should replace batteries in the spring and fall during daylight savings time.
Learn more about preventing carbon monoxide poisoning in the Raleigh area by contacting Air Experts Heating & Cooling.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com
We were able to schedule a visit within three days for a non-critical air duct cleaning. Service tech arrived on time, provided excellent service, and solid advice for keeping our ducts clean. Thank you.Read Full Testimonial