Why is My AC Compressor Making a Loud Noise?
Has your air conditioner started making strange noises during operation? You might be dealing with a faulty compressor. AC compressors are essential components within your unit that can cause serious system problems and indoor discomfort when they malfunction. Not only will a failing compressor create a noisy unit, but faulty compressors can also lead to severe damage. They can even be dangerous to repair without the right tools or training. Read on to find out what might be causing the clanking in your compressor!
What is an AC Compressor?
Lovingly referred to as the “heart” of your air conditioner by many HVAC technicians, your AC compressor is the most vital (and often the most costly) component of your cooling system. The compressor is responsible for keeping your home cool and comfortable, and it is the vessel through which refrigerant is circulated during the heat exchange process. Additionally, the electricity that courses through your compressor is what powers the air conditioner, allowing it to absorb heat from your home, create cool air, and circulate it throughout the home.
What Causes AC Compressor Noises?
Air conditioning compressors can make many noises, and each one indicates a separate underlying issue. The following are just some of the most commonly heard compressor noises and their possible causes:
- Banging: When banging noises are coming from your compressor, there may be a loose or damaged connecting rod, crankshaft, or piston pin inside that’s causing the issue.
- Clanking: Loose or unbalanced compressor parts can also create a clanking noise, which may escalate to loud banging when left untreated.
- Squealing: If you hear a high-pitched squealing sound from your outdoor unit, there is likely a motor malfunction affecting your compressor system.
- Hissing: When a loud hissing noise lasts for 10 to 15 minutes and then stops, this can indicate a high-pressure buildup in your compressor, which can be extremely dangerous.
- Humming: Usually, humming sounds indicate an electrical issue with the compressor — especially if it hums and refuses to start.
Air compressor problems can cause serious discomfort in your home when left untreated. When you notice loud noises coming from your compressor, you must correct the problem before repair needs escalate to requiring an AC replacement.
Professional vs. DIY Air Conditioner Repair
While correcting a compressor issue might seem like an easy fix, we assure you there’s a lot more involved than simply tightening a few loose components. Many motorized and electrical parts within your air conditioning system require years of industry training to navigate and repair successfully. By hiring a cooling specialist to repair your air compressor, you’ll:
- Receive guaranteed service from a specially trained professional
- Prevent electric shock or electrocution
- Avoid the need for total system replacement
- Identify additional repair needs before escalation
When you detect a problem with your air compressor, don’t attempt to remedy the problem on your own. Trust the Air Experts to deliver the long-lasting AC repairs you need exactly when you need them!
Schedule Emergency AC Repair with the Air Experts!
For more than 35 years, Air Experts has proudly delivered the long-lasting air conditioning repair services that North Carolina residents can trust. Our top priority is the provide the best possible service to our friends and neighbors here in Raleigh. We are committed to your 100% satisfaction, offering the following Super Seven Guarantees to all of our valued customers:
- Comfort Guarantee
- No Frustration Guarantee
- Low Price Guarantee
- 30% Utility Savings Guarantee
- Property Protection Guarantee
- Installation Date Guarantee
- Timeliness Guarantee
Don’t let your air compressor repair needs go ignored. Contact the Air Experts to schedule emergency air conditioning repair today!
Air Experts is always here for your Heating, Cooling, Indoor Air Quality, Plumbing, and Water Treatment needs. Our award-winning customer service team is available 24/7, or you can easily book an appointment online.