Improving Air Quality in the Bedroom – A Practical Guide
The Environmental Protection Agency has reported that Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) can be five times worse than outdoor air! Even worse, Americans spend more than 90% of their days indoors – meaning our exposure to poor quality air is almost constant. Exposure to poor IAQ can cause a host of health problems, including:
- Eye irritation
- Aggravated asthma and other respiratory illnesses
- Sore throat
- Allergic reaction
- In rare cases, life-threatening conditions like carbon monoxide poisoning and Legionnaire’s disease
We are especially vulnerable to poor IAQ when we sleep because we often can’t feel the effects of what we’ve been breathing until we wake up.
So, what can you do to improve air quality in the bedroom?
The Services and Devices That Could Save You
- Air filtration – Advanced air filtration devices like electronic air cleaners can remove even the smallest pollutants.
- Air quality testing – Several DIY air quality test kits on the market can help you detect common air pollutants such as mold, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), radon, and more. Professional-grade testing is also an option and often sweeps for wider and more precise readings.
- Air handlers – Air handlers improve ventilation in your home by circulating stagnant indoor air. If ventilation is your main problem, you may want to consider an air handler.
- Dehumidifiers – You’re likely no stranger to hot and humid summers. When there’s too much moisture in your bedroom, it can make it difficult to sleep. It can also mean damage to your home’s structures, such as hardwood flooring. Dehumidifiers remove excess moisture from the air, thus improving IAQ and your chance of catching some Zs.
- Humidifiers – When the air in your bedroom is too dry, pollutants stay in the air for longer and have a superhighway to your sleepy lungs. Proper humidity is also important if you want to reduce your chances of acne, eczema flare-ups, and other skin complications. Consider investing in a humidifier, especially during the darker, drier winter months.
We Aren’t Called the Air Experts for Nothing
We’ve been in business since 1986, and tending to the air quality of our customers is one of our specialties. Call us at 919-480-2727 or contact us online to learn more about how we can help you get your IAQ up to snuff.