Get Your Air Conditioner Ready for Summer
While it may seem like summer will never arrive, it is a good idea to be prepared before the first hot day of the year strikes. Your air conditioning system is an important piece in keeping you and your family comfortable over the summer months and making sure your system is ready to go when summer arrives is always a good idea.
How to Prepare Your AC System for Summer
- Replace Your Filters: Filters are a cost effective way to prepare your AC for the summer months. Ideally, you should replace your filters every 2 -3 months, you may want to do this more often if you have pets or you find your filter gets dirty fast. Replacing your filter will ensure that the air flow from your AC system is not restricted.
- Clear and Hose Down Your Unit: You don’t want to start dismantling your AC unit, however you can clear the area around the unit to help with air flow and efficiency. Clear any leaves and debris from around your unit and hose the unit off using your yard hose.
- Check the Insulation: On the back of your unit there will be coolant lines that connect to your home. These lines should have insulation on them, if there is insulation missing or it is cracked, peeling or frayed, you may want to purchase some foam insulation sleeves from your local home improvement store.
- Turn Your Unit On: It is a good idea to turn your unit on to make sure it is running correctly. You don’t have to cool off your house to do this. Just switch on your AC using the thermostat, check that cold air is coming from the vents, then turn the air off again. If it is still cold in your area don’t forget to switch the heat back on.
- Check the Registers: It is a good idea to make sure nothing is blocking the registers in your home. You may also want to lift the register grates up and make sure nothing has fallen into the vents. Often children’s toys or small pieces of materials can end up down the vent and it is important to remove these.
- Schedule a Tune-Up: Once a year it is a good idea to have a professional come out to your home to do a full check on your system. By having your system maintained you can make sure that it is running safely and efficiently. Regular tune-ups will also help extend the life of your air conditioning system.
Schedule AC Maintenance in Raleigh-Durham, NC
If you would like to schedule a tune-up for your air conditioning system before the summer heat hits, call us today at Air Experts Heating & Cooling. We offer a special service guarantee called our super seven guarantees. These guarantees allow our customers to know what they can expect from our team of trained and certified experts at all times. If you would like to learn more about these seven guarantees, you can find more information here on our website.
Contact Air Experts today by phone or fill out our online contact form. Our team of experts can help you with all your home comfort needs.