How to Decrease Your Energy Bills This Summer
You may be dreading the upcoming summer months. Trying to keep your house cool and your energy costs down can feel like a losing battle. Being uncomfortable all summer long to save money no longer has to be your nightmare. Here are some tips you can use to stay comfortable and decrease your energy bills.
Stay Comfortable and Decrease Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Install heavy curtains or black-out roller shades. Keep them drawn during the hottest part of the day, especially if the sunshine beams into your home.
- Change out your thermostat. If you have an older thermostat it might be time to change it to an adjustable thermostat. There are also thermostats that you can control through an app on your phone. Making it easy to keep the house warmer when you are not home, cooling it off by the time you walk through the door.
- Install ceiling fans. Ceiling fans can help keep the air in your home moving, making it feel more comfortable and allowing you to turn your home’s thermostat up 1 or 2 degrees.
- Schedule AC Maintenance. Keeping your AC unit well maintained will help it to run more efficiently and more effectively. Ideally, you should have your system maintained before the summer heat hits.
- Turn your thermostat up. Turning your thermostat up one to two degrees can actually help you save quite a bit on your energy bills. Turn the thermostat up and use ceiling fans or cooler night air to help keep your home comfortable.
- Replace your current AC unit. If you have an older AC unit chances are your energy bills are higher than they need to be. A new, energy efficient AC unit can help lower your bills and keep your home more comfortable.
- Use box fans at night. Using box fans at night in the coolest part of the night can help draw some of the cooler air inside. While you still need your AC on for most of the day this can add some extra relief during the hours you sleep.
- Keep lights off and cook outside. Using your lights and oven/stove top during summer can quickly add unwanted heat to your home. Turn off any electrical items you can and enjoy some food hot off the grill or make a big salad.
- Have your AC unit checked out. Sometimes there is something going on with your AC unit that you don’t know about. Having an expert come out to your home and do the necessary repairs could help your home feel significantly cooler and reduce your energy costs.
- Schedule an energy audit. An energy audit can help find the areas in your home that are wasting energy. This may be gaps in your windows where hot air is coming in and cool air is escaping or it may be a lack of insulation. A professional can complete an audit on your home so that you can correct the areas that are costing you the most.
Want to Learn More About AC Efficiency?
These are just a few ideas to help you make it through the upcoming summer. If you are looking for air conditioning installation, repairs, or maintenance, contact the team at Air Experts Heating & Cooling. We proudly service the Raleigh-Durham area with professional AC services.