How to Prepare Your Air Conditioner for Winter in North Carolina
As the seasons change, it’s time to prepare your home for the cooler weather ahead, including your air conditioner. Winterization helps keep your AC in good condition for next cooling season, while also protecting it against winter elements and moisture damage. Consider the following steps as part of your overall winter preparedness strategy.
How to Prepare Your Air Conditioner for Winter
Get a head start on next cooling season with these steps:
Clean the condenser unit. Turn off the power to the condenser unit before beginning:
- Vacuum debris from the exterior fins using a soft brush attachment and gently straighten any bent fins using gentle pressure from a butter knife.
- Unscrew the top grill and set it aside before carefully lifting out the fan without bending or disconnecting the wires.
- Remove any debris from the interior of the unit and gently wipe surfaces with a damp cloth.
- Spray fins from the inside out with a garden hose using moderate pressure.
- Reinsert the fan, reattach the cover, and restore power when complete.
Listen to the compressor. Stand nearby as the AC is running to listen for any unusual noises such as buzzing, clunking, or grinding, which are signs you may need repair.
Change your air filter. A clean air filter helps to protect system components and improve the quality of your indoor air.
Clear the area. Clear long grass and debris from the perimeter of the outdoor unit, and trim trees, bushes, or foliage leaving a three-foot clearance on all sides and above.
Cover up. After its final use, place a specially designed AC cover over the unit, ensuring the fit isn’t too tight, to allow for ventilation which can prevent rust build up and nesting by small animals. Periodically check on the unit throughout the winter months to ensure the cover remains secure.
Call for help. If you’re uncomfortable or unable to perform any of these functions, call the professionals at Air Experts Heating & Cooling.
The Benefits of Air Conditioner Maintenance
Professional routine annual maintenance and periodic homeowner maintenance are the two biggest influences on the efficiency, performance, and longevity of your HVAC equipment. Benefits include:
- Increased comfort: In an area like Raleigh where summers are long, hot, and humid, a functional well-maintained air conditioner is a must to control humidity and provide cooling relief. An air conditioner that is improperly installed or poorly maintained will struggle to keep your home comfortable.
- Fewer repairs: As part of preventive maintenance, the technician will clean, inspect, and tune your AC. This enables us to detect small issues before they become big, costly repairs.
- Lower energy costs: Increased efficiency due to routine maintenance techniques helps to reduce the amount you spend to cool your home.
- Extended equipment lifespan: Equipment which is properly maintained experiences less stress and less wear and tear on parts, as well as fewer running hours than one which is neglected and dirty.
Heating Maintenance in Raleigh, NC
Speaking of maintenance, now is the time to tune-up your heater! We recommend scheduling maintenance before you turn your heater on for the season. Learn more about heating maintenance here.
Since 1986, Air Experts have provided top quality service to homeowners throughout Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill, NC. Our Super 7 Guarantees are your assurance that you’re receiving the best possible service using the best quality products, and all our work is 100 percent guaranteed.
Call Air Experts today at 919-480-2727, or contact us online for HVAC services in Raleigh or Durham.
We were able to schedule a visit within three days for a non-critical air duct cleaning. Service tech arrived on time, provided excellent service, and solid advice for keeping our ducts clean. Thank you.Read Full Testimonial